Ocean and Coastal Mapping
OER is an active participant in NOAA's partnership with other federal and state agencies to provide an integrated approach to perform comprehensive ocean and coastal mapping. The Integrated Ocean and Coastal Mapping (IOCM) program seeks to coordinate mapping expeditions and then make the data and resulting products publicly available to the broadest user base in common standards. By doing so, redundant operations can be minimized and more efficient uses of the data can be realized.
The IOCM activities include:
- Inventory ocean and coastal mapping data
- Identify priority survey areas
- Integrate mapping resources and requirements
- Identify data and documentation requirements
- Improve efficiency and coordination for more effective use of funds
OER is involved with the IOCM Program in several ways:
- Two OER physical scientists are stationed at the NOAA IOCM processing center collocated with the University of New Hampshire Center for Coastal and Ocean Mapping Joint Hydrography Center (UNH CCOM/JHC). The physical scientists work closely with CCOM/IOCM and NCDDC/NGDC staff in ensuring end-to-end data processing and archival for the OER missions.
- OER sponsors missions that are part of NOAA's Extended Continental Shelf Program. The ECS's mission is to establish the full extent of the continental shelf of the United States and the data are included in the IOCM data holdings.
- OER is an active participant in NOAA's Rolling Deck to Repository (R2R) Initiative, an effort to automate and streamline the flow of data from ships in NOAA's fleet into the National Archives with standard data documentation.
- OER provides Okeanos Explorer as a test bed platform for testing innovative mapping technologies including improved data processing tools for seafloor and water column backscatter that are expected to be useful for NOAA wide mapping users.
- OER works with a host of federal and state mapping agencies through pre-cruise planning collaboration to ensure mapping efficiency, elimination of redundant mapping, and availability and use of mapping data for multiple exploration, research, and management needs.
Contact Information for OER IOCM Program Liaison: